Forums » General » Tech » Free phone number app recommendations?

tophat GlenH87
Since: Feb '16
pushpin 88 - 1 Review

Back in 2011 I found a free phone number app that did what you'd expect it do do. Every month you would be given a new number. cant find the app anymore and all the available apps comes with a monthly subscription fee. Know of any FREE phone number apps?

tophat phishfood
Since: May '15
pushpin 102

There are a couple you can use -- Sideline, and Burner.

tophat pokerpoker
Since: Dec '16
pushpin 3

Google Hangouts plus Google Voice with a new email address every month.  

tophat swimsrus2002
Since: Dec '16
pushpin 6 - 2 Reviews

I've found burner to be a very useful tool! it's not free completely, but like 4 dollars for a decent amount of calls and texts is pretty reasonable.

tophat GlenH87
pushpin 88 - 1 Review

Found the app that I use to use. It's TextNow. I was able to set up an appointment with a provider until she canceled 😅

25385a36 3161 4e6a b39c fab3c3c8a6d3 7505 000005856a13608a
tophat don
Since: Aug '14
pushpin 76 - Qr 24 Reviews

I use Talkatone. It's imperfect but  free texts and calls

tophat Zorro
Since: Nov '15
pushpin 21 - 5 Reviews

I've been using Sideline for a few months and am quite happy with it.  Free but they do show you ads which you can remove if you go for their paid premium service.

For some reason, I've been unable to use Googlevoice for sending pix, no problem with Sideline

tophat JohnMarckof
Since: Oct '16
pushpin 49 - 2 Reviews

I've used sideline and it's worked perfectly with no hassles, but I haven't compared it to anything else.

tophat Scotty2017
Since: Jan '17
pushpin 6

Google voice has an upgrade try it out its the best out of my experience . I also use Line2 good for texting . Essentially you carry one phone with 3 numbers

Logolicious 20170601 020610
rose JessicaPaige304
pushpin 531 - 33 Reviews

LMAO YES I KNOW I'M LIKE MONTHS BEHIND.....  Just noticed the date. Sideline is the best burner sometimes it's rings and sometimes it doesn't.  

Logolicious 20170601 020610
rose JessicaPaige304
pushpin 531 - 33 Reviews

I wish more people used Google Hangouts but not sure they know what it is or that it's already on the phone bc I know I didn't until someone told me..  

Pascal the chameleon wallpaper 11098610
tophat iSeeStarz
Since: Jul '17
pushpin 4 - 1 Review

Pinger Textfree with call for Android. Pay for minutes or earn them through offer (download another app, run it, get minutes, uninstall it). You can change your number once otherwise it expires if you dont use it for 30 days and then get another. Or use multiple emails to have multiple accounts with different numbers. 

Tyroc
tophat luvbjs
Since: Jul '14 Vip  
pushpin 57 - 2 Reviews

I use the free version of google voice for calls and text, hell I use google voice to receive text from this site (which is awesome).

2f5b11a240d03a76d816c3f3d1ac4bdc
tophat MrRoboto
Since: May '17
pushpin 1648 - 12 Reviews

+1 Google Voice

Blowjobaccessible2
tophat .rambone.
Since: Nov '15
pushpin 767 - 14 Reviews

Hands down TextNow is the best Android app that gives you a virtual phone number (doesn't expire in less you do not use it for a while) for  free texting.. I believe you can also pay per minute for voice calls but I never have in two years. Never have had problems with them!

Giphy
tophat philipfry
Since: May '16
pushpin 501 - Qr 18 Reviews

Sideline is no longer free, and now has a monthly fee.  In looking at all the second number apps, the only one I've found to still be free is Google Voice.

Img 4759
tophat Zep
Since: Feb '15 Vip  
pushpin 1966 - 26 Reviews

I have Sideline and don't pay a dime. Have had it for two years and love it.  You can pay and get it without advertising but ads don't really hinder me at all.

tophat GlenH87
pushpin 88 - 1 Review

I'm having issues with textnow. Both my text and calls won't go through. Keypad pops up for a second and quickly slides off screen. Anyone having the same issue? In the meantime I've been using textme. It gets the job done.

Img 4759
tophat Zep
Since: Feb '15 Vip  
pushpin 1966 - 26 Reviews

I just got notification that Sideline is upgrading and will no longer be free even for current users. 9.99 a month.  Forget that.   

Whats my my best option? Can I move my Sideline number to new service. Or need a new number? 

What a pain.  

Black chicken
tophat Jiri
Since: Mar '16
pushpin 87 - 9 Reviews

Google voice has worked well for me , been using it for years. I paired it with a cheap burner phone (Straight Talk) , the perfect marriage of anonymity and affordability, IMHO.

tophat Jkor69
Since: Apr '17
pushpin 4

Yeah Google hangouts and voice work fairly well and convenient and fairly secure. But ultimately you're using a trackible service and I'll leave it at that for now. If you want more anonymity and security, redphone app is good(it encrypts your calls) for calls and telegram for texts. 

Text free app is convenient but the user's number and some other info can easily be extracted wirelessly. 

Download
tophat smplayer
Since: Oct '17 Vip  
pushpin 23 - 1 Review

I used Sideline when it was still free, but sometimes providers wouldn't answer when I used it. Does it show up on Caller ID as a regular number or as Sideline? I'm seeing provider listings that specifically say "No calls accepted from Google voice or other second line apps". 

I really don't want to carry a 2nd (burner) phone. Do any of the apps mentioned above show up on Caller ID as a regular phone number?

Screenshot 2017 10 12 09 13 22 1
tophat Silvrsurferx
Since: Jan '15
pushpin 5498 - Qr 182 Reviews

Found the app that I use to use. It's TextNow. I was able to set up an appointment with a provider until she canceled 😅

--- Bad app to use. They  will take your pics from your gallery and/or exploit who you are over time and others who have that app will eventually know your identity over time.

Burner phones are the best way to go and disable all your apps for optimum privacy.

tophat Beefy
Since: Dec '14
pushpin 1478 - 4 Reviews

Talkatone is still free and has a burn a number feature...

tophat Curtiss
Since: Nov '17
pushpin 1

Burner charges but is very good for disposable text and phone numbers