Forums » General » Tech » Most convenient sources for a burner SIM?

tophat dbof
Since: Jul '17
pushpin 9

I have some old burner phones sitting around here, but the plan I used to have my burner calls on is long since defunct.

What would be the best SIM to buy for a burner phone-- with cash, cheaply and conveniently?

There are very many around in the aisles of Safeway and Walgreens and Rite Aid, and I'm being lazy and don't want to wade through the fine print and terms of all of them.

tophat 010114jw
Since: Apr '16 Vip  
pushpin 32 - 4 Reviews

Att go, And tmobile Sims work with almost ANY GSM phones. 

A lot of the other ones require a built in app or a registered Imei to work, like tracphone. Tracphone sums seem to only work in tracphones

Whereas I never have any issues getting an ATT go sim to work on any GSM phone. I've used ones I picked up at garage sales for cash, used amazon phones, and some Chinese aroid phones. no problem.

My latest trick seems to be working really well  though and is cheaper and easier. My phone plan is now upgraded to unlimited!!! So I have a cheap burner android phone, no sim, but a talk and text app, textfree which lets me call or message with a phone number, and I just use it off of the hotspot of my primary phone. No second bill, no problem keeping the number I want between burner phones, and no app with messages or pictures on my primary  phone.

Anyone else try that?

tophat Marks3432
Since: Dec '14
pushpin 92 - 5 Reviews

010114jw,
Great idea man. Hadn't thought of that. Do i need to register with my real name to get a google play account for downloading the text free app

Tiger 06
tophat EmperorJNorton
Since: Apr '17
pushpin 800 - 7 Reviews

Att go, And tmobile Sims work with almost ANY GSM phones. 

A lot of the other ones require a built in app or a registered Imei to work, like tracphone. Tracphone sums seem to only work in tracphones

Whereas I never have any issues getting an ATT go sim to work on any GSM phone. I've used ones I picked up at garage sales for cash, used amazon phones, and some Chinese aroid phones. no problem.

My latest trick seems to be working really well  though and is cheaper and easier. My phone plan is now upgraded to unlimited!!! So I have a cheap burner android phone, no sim, but a talk and text app, textfree which lets me call or message with a phone number, and I just use it off of the hotspot of my primary phone. No second bill, no problem keeping the number I want between burner phones, and no app with messages or pictures on my primary  phone.

Anyone else try that?

---

Don't get caught (by your carrier that is).  If a carrier catches you using an your phone as as a hotspot with the unlimited data plan they have a nasty tendency to sign you up for a new plan which adds their surcharge for the hotspot which coincidentally removes unlimited data (at least thats what ATT has been known to do YMMV).

tophat 010114jw
pushpin 32 - 4 Reviews

010114jw,
Great idea man. Hadn't thought of that. Do i need to register with my real name to get a google play account for downloading the text free app

Nope, just make a fake Gmail account, in my case, I have one for every handle I've ever had, that also makes it easy to email providers, do pic exchanges etch or even hangout using Google hangouts or Google voice if I want to, all with the handle email instead of my main email.

On the phone, just sign in with that account on the store app and your good to go.

---

tophat 010114jw
pushpin 32 - 4 Reviews

Yeah, I've beard that too

In my case, I uš it all the time, and I chose the unlimited version where they throttle the speed when it gets to about 10gb so they don't mi d, because on the hotspot feature, they assume it won't be fast enough for basing, which is true, but for texting and stuff, its not a lroblem, and in ten mi the, I have only gone over the 10gb once.

But your absolutely right YMMV

tophat Beefy
Since: Dec '14
pushpin 1430 - 4 Reviews

From his response I assumed he had a unlimited hotspot plan... Or just doesn't care I can use 10gigs of my unlimited plan for ICS before it gets slowed and never gets shut off....

if you use more data than that looking up hookers... Your cell plan is the least of your worries

tophat 010114jw
pushpin 32 - 4 Reviews

From his response I assumed he had a unlimited hotspot plan... Or just doesn't care I can use 10gigs of my unlimited plan for ICS before it gets slowed and never gets shut off....

if you use more data than that looking up hookers... Your cell plan is the least of your worries

Hahahahahaha

I definitely don't use that much data. But I do use the hotspot of the phone for the laptop and tablet etc. Your absolutely correct though, ns and texfree would never use that much data.

---

tophat kreepybe
Since: Aug '17
pushpin 172

subscriber identity module or subscriber identification module (SIM)

tophat Jkor69
Since: Apr '17
pushpin 4

Interesting info on the sims! =) 

2f5b11a240d03a76d816c3f3d1ac4bdc
tophat MrRoboto
Since: May '17
pushpin 1425 - 11 Reviews

Exactly what I was thinking of going.

2wsnhuv
tophat fuckyfuckerson
Since: Nov '17
pushpin 4 - 1 Review

I prefer T-mobile. A Sim kit is only about $10 for a pay as you go account. They charge $3 a month which gives you 30 texts a month free, afterwards they charge 10 cents a text. So if you use the phone it's worth it especially since most providers prefer texts to communicate.

I recently upgraded my civi phone and am now using my old Verizon Galaxy S5 with LTE on T-mobile. This plan doesn't include data or Internet but you can use you civi phone for those services.