Forums » General » Health & Wellness » Where to get Gardasil Vacine

tophat BnThsWa
Since: Oct '15 Vip  
pushpin 303 - 1 Review

I’ve been considering the Gardasil vaccine.  My question is where to get it for less than $700 or $800 on the peninsula or even in San Francisco. 

I know it takes a prescription and I know I would have to pay for it out-of-pocket because I’m over 26.   San Jose Med says $1180 (probably plus administration fees) and PAMF is over $1400.  Can’t be right. 

Anybody know how to get it for a reasonable cost?

rose SexiSami
Since: Sep '16
pushpin 23

That's crazy expensive. I have insurance so I was unaware of the pricing. Good luck. Do they offer it through planned parenthood?

tophat BnThsWa
pushpin 303 - 1 Review

Hey Sexy. 
Not at Planned Parenthood if you're over 26, even if you pay cash on the spot.  I did uncover a place in SF that says they will do it without a prescription for $208 per dose (it's 3 doses over 6 months).  Haven't done it yet but I'm gonna if nothing else turns up.  Gotta love an open-minded city !!

Image2 2
rose Allyana
Since: Dec '14
pushpin 615 - 35 Reviews

Planned parenthood. You need to get insurance through PP and then need to be approved from them for the vaccine. $20 per shot.

tophat BnThsWa
pushpin 303 - 1 Review

Hi beautiful,
That's amazing ($20).  But as soon as I tell them (PP) I'm over 26 (or is it 21 for men?) they say "Nope, see ya later".
I keep thinking it should be less than $200/dose, but I could be wrong.

tophat venkatron
Since: Jan '15
pushpin 224 - 2 Reviews

Very interesting--Somehow I hadn't thought about this for myself until now. Thanks for putting the idea in my head.

Few questions:

• BnThsWa, if you don't me asking, are you straight? I am, but I like the idea of not passing on HPV to my partners (or contracting it in the first place, of course, even it may be asymptomatic).
  • What's the place in SF that will do it for $208/dose?
  • Some conflicting info in this thread re: Planned Parenthood. Could BnThsWa and Allyana please elaborate on the specifics as they understand them? (Edit: BnThsWa added more info above.)
Thanks in advance.

Some relevant info (source):

If vaccinated prior to infection, Gardasil protects against HPV types 16 and 18, which cause about 70 percent of cervical cancer cases. It also protects against HPV types 6 and 11, which cause 90 percent of cases of genital warts. A newer version of Gardasil (Gardasil-9) protects against five additional strains that cause approximately 15 percent of cervical cancers and are not covered by previously FDA-approved HPV vaccines. Gardasil-9 also has the potential to prevent 90 percent of cervical, vulvar, vaginal and anal cancers caused by these HPV strains. Cervarix is another type of HPV vaccine that protects only against HPV types 16 and 18.

There are more than 40 types of HPV that are passed through sexual contact. In men, some types of HPV can cause genital warts, while other types can cause penile, anal, or head and neck cancers. The types of HPV that can cause genital warts are not the same as the types that can cause cancer. However, keep in mind that a healthy immune system is usually able to clear the HPV virus, or at least suppress it, over time. Most men who contract HPV (of any type) never develop any symptoms or health problems. Unfortunately, there are no blood tests clinically available to diagnose a person for HPV prior to vaccination for men. Most of the time, patients are diagnosed when visible genital warts appear.

While you and your partner may fall out of the age range and have both been exposed to HPV, there is no harm in speaking with a health care provider to determine your next step. For those who are infected with HPV, the vaccine may help to prevent them from becoming infected with other types of HPV.

Bill and monica
tophat Maxoff
Since: Jul '14
pushpin 330 - 8 Reviews

Because you are not in the FDA approved age range insurance will typically not cover it.  Not sure if some insurance might cover a portion of it as an off label use, but it is expensive.

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/programs/vfc/awardees/vaccine-management/price-list/index.html

tophat BnThsWa
pushpin 303 - 1 Review

Hi Venkatron,
(1)  I'm straight.  Why do you ask?  I can't imagine that gay men affected differently by HPV though.  And I would think everyone on this site was straight or bi, can't imagine what a gay man would find interesting here.
(2)  The place I found is "AITC Immunization & Travel Clinic" in SF.  If you google it, all the contact info comes up.  They mentioned a price break if you qualify some way too.  I also found a coupon which say it can give 75 % off, but that seems TGTBT.  Go to helprx.info for that.
 (3)  I can't think of anything to add here.  Note that I'm over 26 and I believe both these lovely ladies are under 26.

Yeah, GoAskAlice is a great site.  I like PATeo's favorite site, MedHelp.org.  It features forums with Dr. Hook and Dr. Handsfield, two very experienced STI experts.

My biggest motivation here is dealing with HPV-16 which is the cause of the vast majority of oral cancer in men.  I believe it's rare and that your immune system almost always deals with it but I've had medical people come down on both sides of the question of whether a man over 26 should get the vaccination or not.

Hi Maxoff,
Thanks for the link.  This agrees with the costs that I've found on the net pretty well.  I assume I will pay for it out of pocket.

tophat Traubert
Since: Aug '16
pushpin 2

Question: I'm curious to know if the various forms of HPV that can be contracted orally are transmittable only when warts are present, or are they also transmittable when warts are not present? I used the word present, as opposed to the visible, as I do understand that warts produced by some forms of HPV are barely visible to the human eye, especially in low light.  

Bill and monica
tophat Maxoff
Since: Jul '14
pushpin 330 - 8 Reviews

You can also contact Merck directly and ask them if anyone in the Bay Area is doing research on using Gardisil 9 on expanded age groups, or other resources that may offer reduced prices.
They are no longer offering Gardisil, it has been replaced by Gardisil 9

https://www.merckvaccines.com/Products/Gardasil9

tophat venkatron
pushpin 224 - 2 Reviews

Hi Venkatron
(1)  I'm straight.  Why do you ask?  I can't imagine that gay men affected differently by HPV though.  And I would think everyone on this site was straight or bi, can't imagine what a gay man would find interesting here.
I asked because I hadn't heard a lot about Gardasil's benefits for men and much of what I see when searching on that topic is about preventing anal cancer. To your point about whether "gay men [are] affected differently by HPV", just guessing here, but it would seem that anal cancer from HPV perhaps isn't such a concern for straight guys. Maybe I'm mistaken in that hypothesis--I haven't seen a clear answer online--but I was seeking a better sense of your interest in the vaccine as a part of my own evaluation process.

Your final sentence as quoted above would appear to be a non-sequitur, as I didn't ask if you're gay but rather if you're straight (ie, "do you only fuck women?"). For all I knew at the time, you could have loved both hooker pussy and dicks up the ass. More power to anyone for whom that is the case but since I'm not into the latter, it would've put us in (presumably) different risk demographics and my interest in the thread would've diminished.

Hope that settles that. Thanks for starting the topic and for your responses.

tophat dumbass
pushpin 59 - 6 Reviews

Heterosexual men can get oral or penile cancer from HPV. Penile is pretty rare, but oral cancer rates are rising, despite tobacco use going down. Mostly from HPV.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/859572

Img 0660
tophat NiceChillaxGuy
Since: Aug '17
pushpin 4

This is a great thread on safety. I hope every parent here gets there kids vaccinated. Cervical cancer results in 250,000 female deaths globally. A new HPV vaccine in Australia claims it can completely prevent all cervical cancer.

tophat BnThsWa
pushpin 303 - 1 Review

Do you have a link or the name of the vaccine?

tophat BeachGuy15
Since: Nov '16 Vip  
pushpin 22 - 25 Reviews

I tried to get it and they would not give it to adult men