Forums » General » Foodies & Drinks » Better weather means BBQ time!!!

tophat  Italianstallion916
Since: Oct-2014
pushpin 259 - Qr 53 Reviews

Yum yum!!

ribs last weekend, hand crafted rub, homemade BBQ sauce.

Spatchcock chicken (two) was this weekend

Img 4957

Img 4896

Img 4897

tophat  Johnfun916
Since: Dec-2016
pushpin 99 - 15 Reviews

Hell yes .

Looks amazing.  Also love a good tri-tip  that's been marinated in some red wine for a day you should try it.

Jf

rose  Joy Wells
Since: Jun-2014 Vip 
pushpin 248 - 96 Reviews

OMG that chicken.....😋 😋

Chicken was super good! The woods added a nice soft sweet flavor to the crust :)

Easter means lamb, and so many choices!

Joy, do you stick with the standard rub or have something special you like? I have family coming over and I'm feeling adventurous with the 2 6lb legs I have :p

rose  Joy Wells
Since: Jun-2014 Vip 
pushpin 248 - 96 Reviews

I was thinking about doing lamb chops myself. 

I usually do some type of balsamic vinaigrette for my grilled lamb or this....

http://leitesculinaria.com/75949/recipes-greek-marinade.html

It's my go to for pretty much everything when I grill. 

Phto
tophat  PanDan
Since: Nov-2015
pushpin 20

c1Chicken looks amazing! A nice cold beer and call it a day

Lamb using pecan and oak as the smoke 

Img 4979

rose  Marialove3300
Since: Apr-2016
pushpin 162 - 7 Reviews

Let me bring the sides next time 🤗

Fun fact

i actually have a degree in culinary arts and a minor in business 🙃🙃

Squifffffy
tophat  Squiggy
Since: Feb-2015
pushpin 2785

Fun fact

i actually have a degree in culinary arts and a minor in business 🙃🙃

---

so which do u use the most for cookin?

tophat  peckerotis
Since: Jul-2016
pushpin 506 - 2 Reviews

Nothing beats a trussed whole chicken slow cooked on a Weber rotissiere. Rub it down with garlic infused olive oil and a little of Pappy's seasoning and go to heaven. Did two of them last week.

Tiger 06
tophat  EmperorJNorton
Since: Apr-2017
pushpin 153 - 2 Reviews

I hate to be pedantic, but that's grilling, not BBQ.

/BBQ = low/slow over wood smoke

Citylyts 2
tophat  citylyts
Since: Jul-2014 Vip 
pushpin 785 - Qr 26 Reviews

It is also national BBQ month.

tophat  thaikhan
Since: Jul-2014
pushpin 323 - 13 Reviews

I'm in love

Miti
rose  Anya Blush
Since: Sep-2016
pushpin 7 - 3 Reviews

Mmmmm yummy. Ive been doing it any chance I get!

tophat  acguy
pushpin 57 - 3 Reviews

I can't see his set up but if his fire is offset, it's close enough to BBQ. But who cares; looks good.

I love to BBQ. I used to help some youth groups run a booth at some of the local festivals including the Salinas air show. I still do a lot of fundraisers. Bback ribs rubbed with mustard and a custom rub slow cooked for 3 to 4 hours or a tritip in a custom marinade for a few days and slow cooked in a WSM. I pull it when it's rare and do a quick reverse sear on it. I do pork butt for a 12 hour cook, pulled, and then soaked in the juice with a bit of sauce. In Sept. I'll be slow cooking around 80lbs of prime rib. Damn it's good!

Indirect setup with a water and drop pan. 

Lamb was dry rubbed for 24 hours, coated in olive oil and seared before moving to a slow sensual smoke for several hours.

core of the lamb was rare/medium rare, with varying degrees to medium well (for the kids).

lamb is such a lovely meat to slow cook, takes injection and rubs well and picks up just enough smoke to not over power the creamy favors of the meat.

memorial day is brisket day. Looking at doing a 12 lb bad boy for the neighborhood on the offset smoker. Might have a rack of ribs and some chicken on the Webber for lunch :)

brisket ER will be a 16-18 hour smoke starting the prior evening with a 3 day dry brine :))))

tophat  acguy
pushpin 57 - 3 Reviews

I've never done lamb. Do you use a roast? Seems like a leg would be tough to cook even. Lamb has a strong taste. Does the smoke add too much? I'll have to give it a try. Rub is probably a heavy garlic/rosemary kind of thing?

I've got a couple of big cooks coming up. Next will be tritip and chicken breast. Tritip goes into a homemade marinade for a couple days then slow cooked for about an hour and a half. Chicken is standard grill and sauce. It's another fundraiser which I do a lot of. I cook whatever they think they can get the biggest turnout with. I've got a couple new thermometers I'm anxious to try.

Lamb has a powerful flavor, slightly game but with a cream finish due to the high fat content of the meat.

olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic and rosemary are my prime components. Lavender also has a nice combo.

for smoke, I am a major fan of oak with red meat, but pecan, apple wood and cherry also add great flavors.

You can braise a lamb with the same rubs and lots of a very strong red wine. 

tophat  Lickthejar
Since: May-2016
pushpin 16 - 1 Review

Central coast bbq. Herb crusted whole prime ribeyes cooked over red oak.

20170520 143304