Forums » General » Foodies & Drinks » Pork Shoulder - The beginning

Photo0216
tophat Sactodawg
Since: Apr '15
pushpin 386 - 6 Reviews

Smoked 12 hrs over Oak and Hickory

Will post the yummy ending in replies...

20170909 072933

tophat Val_Killmore
Since: Mar '17
pushpin 284 - 2 Reviews

I'm surprised that no one else commented on this. This made my mouth water. Post some pictures of the aftermath if you took any.

Inshot 20171011 143936990
rose Princess-Unique
Since: Aug '17 Vip  
pushpin 85 - 1 Review

Looks Good, I Bet The Aftermath Was Delicious!😍

Naked woman holding her breasts sb 7742 img 0880 black
tophat pohaku
Since: Nov '14
pushpin 624

Sacto D 

long time no chat, if this is you.

Did you marinade the meat? or  any rubs.

Slow cooking/ smoke pork with lower temp does special thing to the meat.

Did you make special sauce foe the table?

Photo0216
tophat Sactodawg
pushpin 386 - 6 Reviews

Special Rub via Good Eats (thanks Alton)

Slow Smoked at 250 over Oak Logs and Hickory Chips

Sauce was KC Masterpiece base with a Bourbon/Honey/Saracha add-in slathered and mopped over meat for the 2 hrs prior to serving.

It took all of 11 hrs and also served it with a Cole Slaw side.

Finished pics are on my other camera, must remember to post soon.

Photo0216
tophat Sactodawg
pushpin 386 - 6 Reviews

Ok All, I only took 2 pictures of the end result, but it fed 34 people and none of them hated it.

I'm doing a 8lb one this weekend, Perhaps I will show you the Magnificent Sandwiches this makes!!

ENJOY!!!

Img 0017

Img 0018

tophat Val_Killmore
Since: Mar '17
pushpin 284 - 2 Reviews

Good shit Sacto! I may have to pay you to bbq at my place or go pickup some sandwiches from you.

Photo0216
tophat Sactodawg
pushpin 386 - 6 Reviews

Funny you mention that Val.

I just happen to be in the party business.

PM me for details if you are serious.

tophat PnkPrlHntr
Since: Jun '17 Vip  
pushpin 1279 - 8 Reviews

That looks good. Pulled pork sandwich anyone.

Naked woman holding her breasts sb 7742 img 0880 black
tophat pohaku
Since: Nov '14
pushpin 624

They look magnificent!

I happen to have pork shoulder in my fridge and thinking of cooking it in oven today.

rub,

I wash the entire meat with couple table spoons of apple cider vinegar then use salt brown sugar black pepper pepper paprika chili powder garlic powder.

i use deep baking dish that fits the meat nicely. I place the meat on a rack. some water on the bottom to prevent smoking the entire kitchen.

I bake at 400 for 45 - 1 hr. then take it out sprinkle with worcestershire sauce liquid smoke  and molasses.  cover the baking pan with parchment paper then aluminum foil

back in over at 250 - 300 and cook for 3-4 hours  ( making sure there is 1/2 inch  of water on the bottom of pan but not touching the meat) check meat at 2.5 hr point.

when finished squeeze out some liquid on the bottom by turkey baster without too much fat. use the sauce as au jus or add to your BBQ sauce.

if you want it perfect you can uncover last 30 minutes to dry off the surface.

Easy BBQ sauce at home

Tomato Catsup, Worcestershire sauce ( Lee and Perrins)  molasses, French Mustard, chili powder, apple cider vinegar, black pepper, crushed dried small chile ( hot) salt .

adjust the portion to your preference.. taste often to adjust - let it sit for a while. 

Photo0216
tophat Sactodawg
pushpin 386 - 6 Reviews

They look magnificent!

I happen to have pork shoulder in my fridge and thinking of cooking it in oven today.

rub,

I wash the entire meat with couple table spoons of apple cider vinegar then use salt brown sugar black pepper pepper paprika chili powder garlic powder.

i use deep baking dish that fits the meat nicely. I place the meat on a rack. some water on the bottom to prevent smoking the entire kitchen.

I bake at 400 for 45 - 1 hr. then take it out sprinkle with worcestershire sauce liquid smoke  and molasses.  cover the baking pan with parchment paper then aluminum foil

back in over at 250 - 300 and cook for 3-4 hours  ( making sure there is 1/2 inch  of water on the bottom of pan but not touching the meat) check meat at 2.5 hr point.

when finished squeeze out some liquid on the bottom by turkey baster without too much fat. use the sauce as au jus or add to your BBQ sauce.

if you want it perfect you can uncover last 30 minutes to dry off the surface.

Easy BBQ sauce at home

Tomato Catsup, Worcestershire sauce ( Lee and Perrins)  molasses, French Mustard, chili powder, apple cider vinegar, black pepper, crushed dried small chile ( hot) salt .

adjust the portion to your preference.. taste often to adjust - let it sit for a while. 

---

I think I shall try that recipe out on Sunday!!! Sounds Great

I use this in two ways

Day 1: freshly cooked for Pulled Pork Sandwiches

Day 2: Reprise... Drizzle some Canola Oil in your favorite Cast Iron workhorse and Quick fry those pulled pork lovelies into a Carnitas Treat!! on the side you can Saute' those Peppers, Onions and Garlic to mix in at the last minute.
Warm up you favorite Tortillas!!! and Waaaaa laaa!!!

8 lbs of Pork Shoulder gone !!!!!!