Forums » General » Fitness & Nutrition » How much could you bench in your prime?

tophat Val_Killmore
Since: Mar '17
pushpin 279 - 2 Reviews

in your prime, what was your max bench press?

tophat 50sXfittr
Since: Nov '15 Vip  
pushpin 1202 - 18 Reviews

Around 275 at around 150 body weight.  Don't know exact numbers as this was probably 30 years ago.

Today @175 body weight and almost 60 yrs of age:

Bench press - 225 (don't bench very often in crossfit)

Back squat - 280

Dead Lift - 390

Shoulder Press - 160

Power Clean - 190

Lineman
tophat Jettn
Since: Jul '14
pushpin 1420 - 32 Reviews

Best competition lift, 455lbs. Didn't even place in the top 10 BUT I wasn't juicing either. Didn't want the bitch tits, long term effects and 'roid dudes never seemed "naturally" strong when they were off cycle?

tophat Elvis P
Since: Jan '16
pushpin 845

My best gym lifts were a 500 lb squat, a 475 deadlift, and a 275 bench at 170 lb bodyweight. My bench kinda sucked, but most guys into powerlifting generally focus on their squats and deads more than their bench.

tophat Testedmethod
Since: Oct '15
pushpin 70 - 1 Review

385. I keep saying im going to train again and shoot for 405 but ive been saying that for years. Im lucky if i hit 275 right now

Dsc 1258
tophat Srcalguy
Since: Nov '17
pushpin 34

Not much at all really. 220 bench Max,  but then again I was lean and cut, could do 60 non-stop perfect push-ups,  22 pull-ups,  and a 6 minute mile.  Nothing record breaking but I was lean and rippled like the reincarnation of Bruce Lee.  And still was insecure as fuck.  Looking back on it, I'm not sure why I didn't walk around shirtless fulltime. 

tophat relativitygold
Since: Nov '14
pushpin 203 - 13 Reviews

365 for 5 reps bench

365 for 15 reps ass to grass squats

18 pull-ups

2mile run in 15min

I weighed 230lbs at the time.

Now im a fat mess lol

tophat Thedon28
Since: Apr '15
pushpin 1437 - 23 Reviews

I wonder how many of you fuckers had to use the Smith Machine to achieve those numbers lol

"BINDERS FULL OF WOMEN"

Sausage 2
tophat Sausage
Since: Dec '16
pushpin 530 - 15 Reviews

About 315 for bench press, but then I tore my shoulder. 

On the leg press machine, I used to have about 9 plates (45 pounds each) on each side, but that was 25 years ago. 

Here's a photo from me in my younger days. I tried make my head larger to match my body, but I just couldn't do it. :)

tophat Jurde
Since: Aug '17
pushpin 17 - 2 Reviews

I picked up a 50 pound box, idk if that counts 

tophat Elvis P
pushpin 845

I picked up a 50 pound box, idk if that counts 

---

Picking up a 50 pound box, is 10 times harder than bench pressing 50 pounds, so to me, it counts

Pg
tophat flimflammed
Since: Jun '14
pushpin 571 - 40 Reviews

500 lb squat is impressive (especially at that body weight) as I've only seen it once in person.

tophat Elvis P
pushpin 845

500 lb squat is impressive (especially at that body weight) as I've only seen it once in person.

---

In the late 80's-early 90's, I worked out in a hardcore gym that catered to serious local bodybuilders and powerlifters. At one point, IFBB pro Scott Wilson temporary managed the place. Guys benching 500 wasn't uncommon. There was a fat Japanese guy who benched in the low 600 lb range. He was a record holder in one of the less-popular powerlifting organizations. 

This was no boutique gym with a swimming pool and sauna. Just a squat rack, a competition bench, a wooden platform for deadlifts, and TONS of free weights. The worst feature of the gym, was the gross little restroom, that was only 1 notch above the typical gas station pit stop.

tophat Val_Killmore
pushpin 279 - 2 Reviews

those were the gyms to go to back in the day. I call those the real gyms. Nowadays gyms are watered down and have gone away from the basics. Instead of gyms then are clubs now. I understand some people want a family oriented place to work out at but come on. Too many gyms are copying the Planet Fitness and In-Shape model. Gold's Gym is not even what it use to be.

tophat Elvis P
pushpin 845

*Gold's Gym is not even what it used to be."

I concur. Gold's gym had to sell out to the "sissy-gym" model to attract a mainstream audience. I remember the days when you said Gold's Gym, the first thing that came to mind, was in the movie Pumping Iron.

Lineman
tophat Jettn
Since: Jul '14
pushpin 1420 - 32 Reviews

Don't forget the pill bottles, needle & syringes, water bloat and really bad back acne

tophat Elvis P
pushpin 845

Don't forget the growth hormone, insulin, synthol, 10-12 meals a day diet, and huge distended abdomens.

This is modern bodybuilding. What you're describing sounds like the 70's. 

Classic 70's bodybuilder

Image result for sergio oliva 70's

Image result for arnold schwarzenegger 70's

Modern bodybuilder

Image result for arnold schwarzenegger 70s

Related image

tophat Val_Killmore
pushpin 279 - 2 Reviews

not gay or anything like that but Arnold's chest is one of the best I have seen. Very well balanced. He did it all flat bench, incline, decline, flys, free weights, and of course a massive amount of steroids to top it off.

tophat Elvis P
pushpin 845

Yes, BBers back then stuck to basic compound movements with freeweights to build their chests.  

And yes, Arnold used massive amounts of Dbol, and a weak derivative of testosterone called Primobolin. BBers didn't have access to test back then. If he did HGH, insulin, synthol,  and ate 12 times a day like today's BBers, he would have been just as huge as anyone today, but probably with a huge gut to match.