Forums » General » Fitness & Nutrition » 50k

Phpthumb
rose BrooklynBelle
Since: Jul '16 Vip  
pushpin 148 - 23 Reviews

I am happy to say I completed my first 50k today. I also have the stomach flu (it manifested at about mile 15- I was feeling off a bit yesterday but attributed it to travel). I made it, it was brutal and I hope I never run through this again. I still completed in the top 20% with my numerous stops and this is very unsexy but I accidentally puked on my shoes (I was playing chicken with how long I could go- heavy duty frustration happening). I ran into a tiny bull snake (it was cute). 

I also forgot that to say I ran a marathon three weeks ago and had a personal best time.

God I love running. 

Suffering through the run that much actually made crossing the finish line that much sweeter.

Vitamin C and soup for me!

I would love to hear others tough run stories!

Xoxo

B

tophat PnkPrlHntr
Since: Jun '17 Vip  
pushpin 909 - 8 Reviews

Congratulations! A tough challenge.

I'm not sure what my toughest challenge was as there has been so many. I would say the two weeks that I did a forced road March in full combat gear everyday with no less than carrying 120 lbs of equipment for 20 to 30 miles. 

Drink plenty of water to replenish yourself. 

Tomorrow you're going to be stiff do a lot of stretching to keep loose and drink water.

tophat 50sXfittr
Since: Nov '15 Vip  
pushpin 1111 - 18 Reviews

Congratulations!  That is a great accomplishment.  A run like that is every bit mental as it is physical, and obviously you are both mentally and physically tough.

I wouldn't even embarrass myself to compare any run I've done to what you did.

I've never had a desire to do any really long distance competitions, because I know what it would take to prepare for something like that to be competitive.

Great job!

tophat firekindler
Since: Jul '15
pushpin 53 - 15 Reviews

Kudos Ms. Belle - I was a dedicated (spelled a-d-d-i-c-t-e-d) runner for about 20 years, until I settled into a lifestyle that made running somewhat superfluous for me.  At 39, my only child was born.  Soon after his mom and I split up (he was 8 then) a great local guy and Kenyan immigrant began offering running workshops.  My son expressed interest, to my delight, so each Sunday morning for a couple of months we would be the only ones to take Raymond up on his offer for the workshop.  I had been having some puzzling issues with one leg for a while before, and thought something like, "I've been working my body too hard at work without attending to a more "balanced" exercise regimen.  And of course I had to provide a positive example for my son, right?  So I went for it, with a measure of gusto.  In retrospect, it seems somewhat ironic that this undoubtedly hastened the disappearance of the last vestiges of cartilage in my hip, leading to eventual hip replacement surgery.  Raymond's coming of age stories of having to kill a lion to achieve official manhood status in his home village made any discomfort I felt at the time seem trivial indeed.  Radio lab (http://www.radiolab.org/story/runners/) aired an absolute must hear story for anyone interested in running, and/or the juxtaposition of genetics and culture, and/or the marvel of what the human body and spirit is capable of.

And many years earlier, I worked on a "hotshot" wildfire crew for the feds.  Every day we weren't on a fire they paid us to run at least 3 miles before beginning our day of project work.  I was in my prime then and running regularly on my own, but living on the coast at low elevation.  We began the season at the Grand Canyon, at 7000' with desert air to gasp at.  I didn't barf that first week but not for lack of wishing to for the  relief it would have brought.  After a while I got acclimated and started thinking I was approaching immortality.  Then we shifted bases to Yellowstone.  Now it's 8000'.  What's a lousy thousand feet at that point, right?  Kicked my butt like I didn't imagine possible.  Got used to that, and then we moved to Rocky Mtn Nat'l Park at 9000'.  Guess what?  But then we ended the season at Crater Lake and it was only 4500'.  And try as I might, I was incapable of getting out of breath.  It was like I had an extra lung or two.  Felt like (no, I was) Superman.  One of the standard jokes in the fire community is "Why does a hotshot hike downhill?  So (s)he can hike back up again."

I firmly believe these experiences were profoundly inherent in achieving the satisfactions I've had and still share with my sexual partners.  My son is about to turn 21 now.  He was a kick ass soccer player in high school but hitting the books hard in college now with a heavy schedule.  I've been encouraging him to take up regular running...

And please don't let my personal experience dissuade you from running.  I blame something else for the dissolution of my cartilage.  Just keep feeding your soul.

Phpthumb
rose BrooklynBelle
pushpin 148 - 23 Reviews

That's pretty amazing! When I was getting ready for Aconcagua I was climbing stairs with a 50 lb pack on, not quite 120 but was a lot for me!

I'm actually not sore or stiff today and that's probably because I have the flu.

Phpthumb
rose BrooklynBelle
pushpin 148 - 23 Reviews

It's not about comparing yourself to anyone else. It's comparing yourself to, well, yourself. I'll never be a highly competitive runner, mountaineer, or climber; I do it because I love it. We all do things that are important to us :)

Phpthumb
rose BrooklynBelle
pushpin 148 - 23 Reviews

That is quite a life story. I always figured I will run, climb, hike, and mountaineer until I can't anymore. I have RA and interestingly enough, running has heloped quite a bit. I love training in high altitude, it makes sea level runs that much sweeter. I live in a high altitude area so I run outside all the time, unfortunately when I travel, I don't get that level of training.  

Running has many meanings for different people. It's cathartic, a challenge, a goal, a dream, a passion, an accomplishment...you name it. We all have different reasons why we run.

tophat Yogibearhere
Since: Aug '16
pushpin 155

Very nice accomplishment.  I've done a marathon decades ago and was very proud of myself so you must feel

exhilarated. 

For RA, try a vegan diet for a week and limit processed foods and carbs.  It helped me with my inflammation 

2f5b11a240d03a76d816c3f3d1ac4bdc
tophat MrRoboto
Since: May '17
pushpin 1111 - 11 Reviews

Congrats!!  You are an inspiration for me!

tophat 5305150z
Since: Jul '14
pushpin 101 - 9 Reviews

Nice!  Congratulations.  Can I be nosy?  Mileage wise, what did you work up to before?  I do a lot of 1/2's (13 miles) just because I cannot seem to fit in the longer mileage.  

tophat trj_66
Since: Nov '16
pushpin 43

Congratulations on your achievement.  Being able to complete a 50k run puts you in a pretty small elite group of people.

Phpthumb
rose BrooklynBelle
pushpin 148 - 23 Reviews

Thank you! I've completely cut out processed foods, sugars, etc. I have a lot of food allergies so I am very careful about what I eat. I like to follow an anti inflammatory diet. Tumeric is gold!

Phpthumb
rose BrooklynBelle
pushpin 148 - 23 Reviews

Thank you! I am into marathoning right now! Usually I like to do a couple 20s two weeks ahead of time and then I just do 10-14 miles up to 3 days before the race. Then I just do elliptical. I love running outside and did the hardest run I have done a few weeks back up behind my house. It was 21 miles but it was high elevation, very rocky in some parts, sand hills, and up and down the whole way.

2f5b11a240d03a76d816c3f3d1ac4bdc
tophat MrRoboto
Since: May '17
pushpin 1111 - 11 Reviews

You do any weight training or is it all cardio?  Oh and Turmeric is a standard in Indian households.

Phpthumb
rose BrooklynBelle
pushpin 148 - 23 Reviews

I do some weight training and that's mainly for rock climbing. When I travel I like to throw a thirty to fifty lb pack on my back and climb the stairs of the high rises.

tophat trj_66
pushpin 43

Sounds like you're ready to hike the Pacific Crest Trail.

Phpthumb
rose BrooklynBelle
pushpin 148 - 23 Reviews

I actually did the whole thing a few years back! :)

tophat PnkPrlHntr
Since: Jun '17 Vip  
pushpin 909 - 8 Reviews

How many days did you take to do it?

Phpthumb
rose BrooklynBelle
pushpin 148 - 23 Reviews

• 97 days. 

tophat trj_66
pushpin 43

OMG that's fast.  Most of the people I'm watching on Youtube are taking over 4 months.  They are all taking zero days though to replace worn out and lost gear as well as restocking food.  Making it to PCT Days also seems to be a priority for them.

For the 2017 PCT vlogs I really like watching the content from Homemade Wanderlust, Mitch Lenington, Juliana Chauncey and SunUp Hikes Youtube channels.

tophat JBuzz
Since: Aug '17
pushpin 55

Congrats on completing a 50K run!  WOW!  All the more impressive is the fact you weren't at 100% due to the stomach flu.  You are a focused, dedicated, and strong willed woman Ms. Belle!  Bravo!

This accomplishment probably makes my 10K run on the treadmill last night seem like a warm up for you 

Scan
tophat Half Marathoner
Since: Dec '14
pushpin 434

I have piles 0f stories and tips!

🤗

take a little chlorophyll in water 30 minutes before your next race to oxygize your cells best!

take a tablespoon of baking soda in pineapple juice right after to remove lactic acid and alkalize best.

drink lots of watermelon and pineapple juice days before another 50k.   What a feet! Your awesome!