Forums » General » Fitness & Nutrition » Vegan Help

rose Amethyst.Marie
Since: Jul-2016
pushpin 237 - 11 Reviews

I've been raw vegan for about 3 years now, I'm not to sure what's going on but I feel like I've lost wayyyyy to much weight I'm normally 120-125 now I am literally 100 pound or less ! 

I think I need a great weight gain program even if it's insisting of chicken and turkey * organic* I just can't take being this tiny. 

rose Jane.doe
Since: Jun-2016
pushpin 7 - 31 Reviews

Eat more carbs 

Black erotica
tophat MrDiscrete
Since: Jul-2014
pushpin 146 - Qr 18 Reviews

Yeah I would say eat more carbs and make sure they're the slower digesting carbs things like brown rice potatoes and maybe even some pasta. If you doing a lot of cardio you might want to back off of that as well.

tophat Raymond
Since: Jan-2016
pushpin 44 - 4 Reviews

Having my BS in Kinesiology, your situation points toward muscular atrophy. Eat more of everything (keep it healthy) and workout. Doing cardio all of the time will make you look like someone who does cardio all of the time (reference marathon runner- Google image search). Pick up some heavy stuff and put it back down, rest and repeat. My degree really paid off as you can tell...

...calories are calories protein isn't as necessary as people think because you body creates proteins all on its own (reference essential versus non-essential amino acids) but with a raw vegan diet I can bet you're hard pressed to exceed 2,500 calories a day, which in some instances is what it takes for someone who is lean to gain muscle mass. I used to try to reach 4,500 cals a day which is TOUGH. You can PM me if you wish as I am a vegan who used to play college sports and learned how to listen to my body and give it what it wants...

Remember, mass cannot be created nor destroyed. You need to EAT food, or else you WILL shrink. The ONLY way to gain weight is to EAT and depending on what you want the weight to look like is up to your physical activity. Good luck, I really hope it turns for the better. 

tophat Elvis P
pushpin 716

"I used to try to reach 4,500 cals a day which is TOUGH." 

---
4500 calories was easy to reach in my 20's, but 30 years later, it's nearly impossible to reach 4000 calories without adding a couple high calorie/high protein snacks, like crackers with peanut butter, and at least one large slice of pecan pie for dessert. I could easily reach 5000 calories, if I put away 2 Jumbo Jacks with cheese 4 times a day, and 4 donuts as an in-between snack - like some of these world-class powerlifters do, but I function more efficiently with a diet of chicken, eggs, fish, with an occasional steak.

I get carbs from pasta, potatoes, bread, and "white" rice. A huge macho bodybuilder giving nutritional advice on YouTube, suggested not to eat that "brown shit." I guess he was referring to the lower calories in brown rice. I personally prefer white rice for its taste and culinary versatility, in addition to the slightly higher calorie count.

But I concur; a vegan diet and cardio is not conducive to gaining weight and muscular strength. 

20170710 084800 burst01
rose sashaminxxx
Since: Mar-2015 Vip   Verifiedbadge
pushpin 1369 - 51 Reviews

Eat complex carbs & lots of protien. Do exercises that increase bone density; all impact exercises, low & high. 

Sasha Minxxx

20170817 231758
rose Kaysb
Since: Jul-2016
pushpin 571 - 33 Reviews

I'm a Fruitarian so I know that feeling!! I fell off the wagon and started eating cooked foods again and blew up fast so I transitioned back down to raw veganism and back to Fruitarian... That lifestyle comes with great health and being thin is a part of it... Try eating more fatty fruits such as avacados.. Good luck!!

tophat Elvis P
pushpin 716

"I think I need a great weight gain program even if it's insisting of chicken and turkey * organic* I just can't take being this tiny."

---
Like everyone is suggesting, up the carb intake a couple notches. If you like Italian and Mexican cuisine, this is the perfect time to have a pizza or enchiladas. Unless you're into bodybuilding, there's no need to consume 1 or more grams of protein per pound of bodyweight. Chicken and turkey are excellent sources of protein, but without complex carbs to go along with them, you'll probably get constipation at best.

Archerportrait
tophat Nick99
Since: Oct-2014
pushpin 117 - 4 Reviews

Eat more of everything: protein, carbs, and healthy fat. Get on a weight training program for a few weeks. Don't be scared of red meat and saturated fat.

Some people like being raw-vegan, but find the diet too restrictive to be practical. The more restrictive your diet is, the harder it is to get adequate nutrition over the long-term. The raw-vegans I've known had to be very diligent about consuming the right foods in the right amounts every day. And they were very skinny people anyway.

Eat!

rose AudreyYork
Since: Jan-2017 Vip  
pushpin 53 - 11 Reviews

Definitely try eating foods that are higher in fat.

My assistant is Vegan and she says she makes cowboy coffee? Blends a cup of coffee with a T of Coconut oil she swears by it for health but thinking that could add needed calories. Good luck!

tophat Elvis P
pushpin 716

"The raw-vegans I've known had to be very diligent about consuming the right foods in the right amounts every day. And they were very skinny people anyway."

---
I concur, the vast majority of vegans are generally skinny (and want to stay that way), but there are some who are naturally bigger people, but go on a vegan diet for health reasons.

I have a vegan friend who's 6'3/230 lbs. If he were to become more carnivorous (like a weightlifting athlete), his bodyweight would ballon drastically and possibly get high blood pressure.

tophat Elvis P
pushpin 716

"Definitely try eating foods that are higher in fat"
---
Just cut to the chase and do what a lot of powerlifters and off-season bodybuilders do - go to McDonald's (or fast food joint of your choice) 6 times a day. If it works for them, it will work for you. And don't forget the ice cream; the staple of hard-gainers.

tophat tarryhesticles
Since: Dec-2016
pushpin 9

That won't work unless you're on a hefty cycle. 

OP nuts are a great way to increase calories and protein. Don't worry healthy fats are less likely to be stored as fat. A lot of people don't realize that. Getting fat while consuming McDonald's and junk food is completely different than gaining weight on healthy fats. 

Put it simply trans fats are common in junk food because they're extremely stable, they're shelf life is far greater than monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats (aka healthy fats). Fish oils on the other hand go rancid extremely easy. Well guess what when you ingest trans fats you will store them and they will remain incredibly stable in your fat cells making them very hard to get rid off down the road. 

The only thing worse than being skinny is being skinny with a bunch of nasty stubborn cellulite fat hanging on to you.

tophat Elvis P
pushpin 716

"That won't work unless you're on a hefty cycle."

---
A hefty cycle, or a drug-free powerlifter who can make use of those high-calories to act as a cushion for heavy squats. Or a drug-free bodybuilder who wants to put on size in the off-season.  What's ironic, is that the quintessential American couch potato has the same diet habits adopted by powerlifters and Olympic lifters. However, strength athletes are able to convert all that lasagna, enchiladas, fast food and ice cream into physical strength, unlike the typical couch potato, who would be considered a weakling in the gym for his/her size. 

tophat tarryhesticles
pushpin 9

You do know that powerlifters and bodybuilders are completely different and strive to attain different goals. In no way is there diets similar not even in the off-season. 

Furthermore you will never see a drug free bodybuilder eat junk food. A roided up 300 lb bodybuilder, maybe, but not a drug free one. 

tophat tarryhesticles
pushpin 9

Look Amethyst.Marie, the most important thing is to eat healthy while gaining weight. Eat whole foods, real unprocessed foods. When someone tells you eating fast food everyday is the way to go (as tempting as it might be) you should be weary of their advise. 
Look into hemp seed, it's a great option for vegans. Prividing a bunch of monounsaturated fats and excellent protein. In fact it provides one of the most bioavailable proteins to body. Which means your body can make good use of it. Pea and rice protein combo is also great. Personally hemp seeds are more delicious so I would go with that if I was given the option.

Of course this is if you want to stay healthy and look good otherwise fvck it, go get a whopper. Just remember you are what you eat and there's a reason obesity, hypertension, and diabetes is through the roof.

tophat Elvis P
pushpin 716

You do know that powerlifters and bodybuilders are completely different and strive to attain different goals. In no way is there diets similar not even in the off-season. 

Furthermore you will never see a drug free bodybuilder eat junk food. A roided up 300 lb bodybuilder, maybe, but not a drug free one. 
---
The main difference between powerlifters and bodybuilders, is the training methods (not so much diet nowadays), and the goals behind those training methods. It's inspiring to look at a BBer's physique,  but that's where the inspiration ends for me. Doing 100 sets, of 100 different exercises, to hit a particular muscle "at all angles," and with only 1 minute or less rest between sets, is not for me. Powerlifters in contrast, do very little in terms of isolation work, and stick with heavy compound movements. Also, it's imperative to take a 5-15 minute rest period between sets, to insure that the muscles and joints are fully recuperated before doing the next heavy set. Super high reps, and super-short rest periods, for the sole purpose of tearing down muscle fibers so they grow back bigger, is a BBer thing, and is not conducive to gaining strength. Back to off-season diets. Here's IFBB pro Johnnie Jackson's off-season diet:

Meal 1:   12 donuts (6 glazed, 6 chocolate), 1 bottle sprite
Meal 2:   McDonald's - steak bagel meal, 1 bottle sprite
Meal 3:   Eggs, potatoes,  pancakes
Meal 4:   McDonald's - 2 quarter pounders with cheese, 2 apple pies, sprite
Meal 5:   McDonald's - 2 quarter pounders with cheese, 2 apple pies, sprite
Meal 6:   McDonald's - 2 quarter pounders with cheese, 2 apple pies, sprite

If anything, it's the drug-free BBer who is likely to resort to cheat foods, like pizza, ice cream, and fast food, since there are no synthetic androgens floating in his system to make life easy. If he's a hard-gaining ectomorph, resorting to high calorie cheat/junk food is even more likely.

Roided up or not, many of the 300lb+ IFBB pros "ate" their way to that level, and they have the huge distended guts to show for it. Unlike the days of Governor Schwarzenegger, when he was simply "Arnold" in the mid-70's, and the standard was 5-6 small meals a day, today's heavyweight BBers force-feed themselves 50 times a day, for the sole purpose of getting as huge as possible, without any regard to how it may affect the size of their waistlines. Granted, they're eating "clean" foods, but like that old adage - "too much of a good thing" wink

Mod icon md honu1111
Since: Jun-2015 Vip  
pushpin 352 - 1 Review

Do you know what your BMI is, and what it "should" be? 

I was vegan for ~15 years or so. Some aspects were great for my health- others not so much. It didn't help that when going out often my options were a salad or french fries. I'm an oppurtunivore now - but a conscious one. More focused on organics and ethically raised - whether we are talking vegetables or meat. 

I've also come to be a firm believer that our genetics- our ancestral history, plays a major role in what foods work for us. I'm very much cold climate- by birth and ancestral history- so carbs and starches have always worked very well for me. I like apples over oranges. Never lked a lot of warm climate fruits and vegetables. 

Listen to your body...and what it is trying to tell you. Whether a diest is based on morals, religion, or a perception of health benefits, if it causes problems you need to change it. 

tophat aznpython
Since: Jan-2015
pushpin 65 - 6 Reviews

Protein is important.
The best replacement for meat (Protein) is the beans.Lentil is a great choice if you like.
Being vegan is tough and need to balance what you take in.

Royal
rose Kasia-Milking Table
Since: Mar-2017
pushpin 3

Hey A.Marie

I'm new to this board, hence my late chime. I myself eat a Vegan diet mixed with Alkaline foods. I was on an all Alkaline Vegan diet that dropped my weight significantly from a solid 140lb to 12l5bs.  10lbs gain and 10lbs lost is very noticeable on my body type. I now eat half Vegan Alkaline and half Vegan Acidic foods. You may ask what's the difference? Well, there are certain foods that we consume even as Vegans that are high in acid. I will list some examples below. So what do I do to keep healthy weight on? I weight train. Muscles weigh more than fat and look a whole lot sexier. if you are thin with little to no body fat, I suggest you work on those six packs girl. LOL Besides weight training, I drink looks for smoothies with Bananas.I eat gluten free pasta, bread, porridge and I try to eat 3 times a day. I eat avocado but I don't O.D. too much, of it makes me nauseous. So that's my two cents. If you follow me on twitter you will see some of the foods I prepare and my workout routine. 

Good Luck on your journey!

Live Life with Passion,

Kasia

Example: Alkaline Vegetables

Zucchini

Green Squash

Kale

Green Banana

Purple & White Onions

Red & Green Bell Peppers

Portabella Mushrooms

Example: Acidic Vegetables

Broccoli

Carrots

Brussell Sprouts

String Beans

Cabbage

tophat Raymond
pushpin 44 - 4 Reviews

I think it is a great idea to think about "alkaline and acidic" veggies from a realistic stand point. Your mouth contains salivary amylase which is an enzyme that will break down CHO (carb) while you chew. Second, your stomach is full of extremely powerful acid, the likes of which takes powerful drugs to titrate (neutralize). With those two very simple concepts, I question how these veggies are acidic or not...?